Thursday, November 19, 2009

Twitter Signup Liveblog 1

The first sign up screen seems to follow the Twitter approach of simplicity.   It asks for relatively few pieces of information.

No thanks to e-mail updates.

I do NOT want to give my e-mail password, either.  I know it is the latest and greatest in social networking, and allows you to connect to everyone on your contact list in your e-mail account, but I think that borders on spam for those other people!  Not everyone in my list is really a personal friend.  I have gotten what I suspected were zombie friend requests in the past this way, and I usually ignored them.  The design of the Twitter sign up (and some other web sites, like Facebook), don't explain that this is an option, give you the impression this is just part of the sign-up process, and that it is something you have to do,  Yuck!



Alyssa Milano?  David Pogue?  Wait, why are these people here?  Did they or their companies pay to be my initial pool of information providers?  Here is some info about this.  Here is a man making a point about the commodification of suggesting users, and promoting himself at the same time. When I refresh the web page I get a different set of people/organizations.  Except Alyssa.  She stuck with me.  I think she likes me.  He, he, he...

Wait!  I refreshed again, and Alyssa was replaced by...  IVANKA TRUMP!?!  I'm dumping all these people.

Okay, so now I am on Twitter.  I'm SquishyG.

No comments:

Post a Comment